Earth is our very own world. It is the only planet where life exists. How fascinating isn’t it? But beyond that, how much do we know about our planet Earth?
Here, we have gathered some interesting Earth facts to help your kid learn along the way. Read on and know some things about the planet we call our home.
- Earth is known to be around 4.5 billion years old.
- Earth is the 3rd planet from the sun. Its name came from old English and German words which means ‘the ground’.
- Natural gas’ strong smell is added by humans to detect if there are leaks but originally, natural gas doesn’t have smell.
- The largest desert is the Sahara Desert which covers one third of the whole Africa.
- The only rock that can float in water is the volcanic rock pumice.
- Earth is the 5th largest planet of the Solar System
- The Troposphere, Stratosphere, Mesosphere, Thermosphere, Exosphere and Ionosphere are the 6 layers of Earths’ atmosphere.
- The Moon is the only satellite of Earth but there are temporal artificial ones.
- The largest coral reef system in the world is the Great Barrier Reef located in the Coral Sea, off the coast of Queensland, Australia.